Ever since I was a kid, there were three events of the year that I always looked forward to: Christmas, my birthday, and the Manila International Book Fair. This year’s book fair begins today (Wednesday, September 15) and ends on Sunday (September 19) and in line with this, I’m so excited because I have some great prizes and special offers (w/something FREE) up for grabs! In a moment, I’ll tell you how you can avail of these.
The Greatest Advice
I was inspired to write this post, not because of the Book Fair, but because around a week ago, one of my favorite bloggers, Tripp Crosby, published a blog post entitled The Greatest Advice I Have to Offer. His advice is simple: When someone recommends a book to you, read it. (He goes on to explain his point, so I highly suggest reading the rest of the post!)
I think Tripp is right. For the most part, I’m really glad I decided to read the books that were recommended (or given) to me. Most of the books have been more than worth my while, with just two to three of them not really meeting my expectations. I like it when I hear someone passionately discussing a book because it tells me that the book is worth investing in.
In the same way, I love sharing the books that I’m passionate about! So without further ado, here are some of the books that I highly recommend:
- If you feel like you’re floating (or maybe a little emo): Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller
- If you feel like you’ve been waiting forever: In the Meantime by Rob Brendle
- If you’d like to boost your social skills: 25 Ways to Win With People by John Maxwell
- If you’re married (or you think you’ll be married one day): Love and Respect by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs
- If you have communication problems in your relationships: The Five Love Languages (there are several different versions) by Dr. Gary Chapman
- If you’re looking to grow in the area of public speaking: Communicating for a Change by Andy Stanley & Lane Jones
- If you feel the need to step out of your comfort zone: If You Want to Walk on Water, You Need to Step Off the Boat by John Ortberg
- If you’ve been leading and you’re feeling the burnout: Leading on Empty by Wayne Cordeiro
- If you’re a woman, or you’re looking to understand women: Captivating by John & Stasi Eldredge
- If you’re a man, or you’re looking to understand men: Wild at Heart by John Eldredge
- If you want to renew your perspective on money: The Storehouse Principle by Al Jandl & Van Crouch
- If you’re feeling like you’re at your lowest point: Plan B by Pete Wilson
- If you’re feeling stuck in your career: Cure for the Common Life by Max Lucado
- If you need to find a way to effectively pass on your ideas: Made to Stick by Chip and Dan Heath
- If you’re looking for a print equivalent of a big warm hug: God’s Blogs by Lanny Donoho
- and of course, the one book that I highly, highly recommend above all else: The Bible (I like the ESV, NLT, TNIV, and The Message versions)
I’ve got more, but I’ll stop there! You can also check out some of the related links I posted at the end if you want more. And in case you were wondering, yes, I do prefer non-fiction books. :)
Ready for the Awesome News?
When I was writing this post, I got the idea to contact our friends from OMF Literature to see if they’d be willing to give away some goodies for you today. I’m thrilled that they agreed!
So first up, I promised something FREE: here’s the link where you can download OMF’s special Book Fair coupon set. Download it now and you’ll have the following:
- a FREE TICKET to the Manila International Book Fair
- 30% off on the following books: Back on Track by Ru dela Torre, The Attributes of God (Volume 1) by A.W. Tozer, and 10 Best Decisions A Woman Can Make by Pam Farrell (1 book per coupon)
- 25% off on any OMF local or international book (1 book per coupon)
Awesome, right? BUT WAIT, THERE’S MORE!
In addition to that, I’m giving away 5–yes five!–OMF gift certificates worth P500. Most of the books I mentioned on the list are available at OMF, so if you’re chosen to receive 1 of the 5 GCs, you can use your gift certificate to buy one (or more) of the books I mentioned above, or anything else that catches your fancy when you visit one of their bookstores located at Boni Avenue (this is one of my all-time favorite bookstores), Il Terrazo QC, Pergola Paranaque, and Greenbelt 1 (gift certificates are not valid at the Book Fair). Their books are pretty affordable, so you’ll be surprised what P500 can get you!
To get a chance to snag 1 of the 5 gift certificates, you must do BOTH actions:
- Leave a comment below and either a) tell me which book on the list grabbed your attention, or b) give me YOUR book recommendation.
- Tweet a link to this post. You can do it easily by clicking here. If you don’t have a Twitter account, you can post a link on your Facebook wall by clicking here.
It’s so easy to join! This is only open to Metro Manila residents. I’ll pick the 5 winners at random on Saturday, September 18, at 12 noon, and if you’re one of the people selected, I’ll send you an e-mail or a direct message.
In the meantime, maybe I’ll see you at the Book Fair!
Happy reading! :)
* * *
If you liked this, you might be interested in these related posts:
If you want to receive updates when I publish new blog posts, you can subscribe via RSS or e-mail. You can also follow me on Twitter.