Around a month ago, I remember one of my favorite pastors (and one of Victory’s founders), Steve Murrell, encouraging people to keep reading the Word. “It’s an acquired taste,” he said. The statement got laughs from the audience, but at the same time, most of us definitely understood was he was saying! When I first started reading the Bible, it took me some time to really get into it. At first, it was tough! But today, I can’t let a day go by without reading it. I love it.
I’ve taken to posting at least one Bible verse every day on my Twitter and Facebook updates. It started because I would find great verses during my quiet times that I wanted to share, so I would post them every so often. I didn’t realize that many of my friends would actually wait for them every day! So that encouraged me to post them daily. :) As it turns out, some people didn’t realize that the Bible had lots of good stuff. I tell you…that’s an understatement! :)
I came across this list tonight and decided to share it, as an ‘appetizer’ for those who are thinking about picking up a Bible to read (I suggest starting with the NLT, Message, NIV, or TNIV versions!). I named this blog post the way I did because I think these 100 verses also give a sampling of great reasons to read the Bible. According to the uber-useful site, Bible Gateway, these are the most popular verses that get searched on their site:
- John 3:16: For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
- Jer 29:11: For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
- Rom 8:28: And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
- Phil 4:13: I can do everything through him who gives me strength.
- Gen 1:1: In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
- Prov 3:5: Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
- Prov 3:6: in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.
- Rom 12:2: Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
- Phil 4:6: Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
You can read the rest of the list (and how they came up with it) here. Great and powerful stuff! :) I love His Word!